By Alixandra Caole Vila (philstar.com) | Updated July 13, 2014 – 12:00am
MANILA, Philippines – The rainy season provides many opportunities to enjoy indoor activities with canine and feline friends and there is no better time to learn about them than now. Rainy day fun with your furry friend may not be a problem, but keep in mind that pets are more susceptible to common diseases in this weather.
As part of the “Well-Fed, Well-Nurtured Campaign” to engage Filipinos in responsible pet ownership through good pet health and proper nutrition, the Pet Food Institute (PFI) and the Veterinary Practitioners Association of the Philippines (VPAP) are sharing tips for you and your pet so you can still have fun in the wet season.
PFI is the voice of the U.S. pet food industry and represents the companies that make 98 percent of U.S. pet food. It is dedicated to promoting the overall care and well-being of pets, and supporting initiatives to advance the quality nutrition for dogs and cats.
Play and learn
- Toys provide countless hours of fun and at the same time encourage your pets to get moving and build a better bond with you as you play.
- Activities such as practicing pet commands, teaching them new tricks, and playing learning games such as hide and seek, tug-of-war, tag and kibble hunts, will also stimulate both the mental and physical skills of your pet.
- You can also set a rainy day play date with your pet’s favorite friend or playmate. However, pets are very active and they can get quite rowdy when they play, so be sure to set aside a safe play space, secure all valuables and put away any furniture or breakable items.
- Give your pet a relaxing bath, wrap them in a fluffy towel, trim their nails, clean their ears and teeth, lovingly brush their fur and even give them a massage.
- Offer some treats to make the experience enjoyable, for pets that do not enjoy grooming.
- Always be careful in grooming your pet – stop at once when your pet is uncomfortable and soothe it by reassuring it with words and petting it softly.
- To help combat illnesses, increase your pet’s immunity by getting its vaccinations and deworming up to date. Watch out for respiratory diseases, hypothermia, fungal infections and skin diseases.
- Do not leave your pet outside in the rain, and if it gets wet, dry your furry friend down with a towel or a dryer, if it has a thick coat, and brush its fur. Be careful not to blow hot air in your pet’s eyes and ears. Remember to dry between your pet’s toes as the paws are the most common area of infection.
- Ask your veterinarian for a washing and grooming routine for your pet. The vet may recommend a product to treat or to reduce the chance of a fungal infection.
- Make sure that your pet is well rewarded. Feed them some treats, but always give them in moderation.
- Make sure they always have access fresh clean water to keep them fresh and hydrated.
- Be sure to keep dry kibble from getting wet, and refrigerate any uneaten canned pet food shortly after serving. Commercial pet food makers from the United States produce the most regulated products that provide good nutrition and health benefits for your pet.
As the voice of the United States pet food industry, PFI and partner organization Veterinary Practitioners Association of the Philippines (VPAP) is committed to promoting and encouraging the Filipino pet owners to provide proper nourishment and care to their pets, striving to make them well-fed, well-nurtured cats and dogs.
For more information on PFI and proper pet nutrition, visit www.petfoodinstitute.org.